of SAN CANIO
was originally built in the second half of the fifteenth century
near to o the Benedectine monastery where today there’s
the Square of the Republic.
It was damaged by the 1694 earthquake and rebuilt, but cause
of a landslip, it was pulled down in 1883 and re-erected where
it is now.
Inside the church, entirely rebuilt after the 1980 earthquake
we find the XVIII century altar, inlaid with marble, and some
XVIII paintings: one of them represents the apotheosis of
St. Canio, bishop and martyr.
The Saint is venerated in Calitri, but also in several towns
According to the tradition, when the mortal remains of the
Saint were taken from Atella to Acerenza, the procession stopped
in Calitri and the bells miraculously became to ring.
From then, St.Canio is the Saint Patron of Calitri, where
there’s a relic of the Saint: the phalanx of one of