from the Square of the Republic we go along the street once
called Corso Matteotti.
Before the earthquake of 1980 it was the main street of the
town and there were houses and shops; it linked the old side
of the town to the new one.
Recently a tower has been discovered from the ruins of the
houses destroyed by the earthquake. It was part of the walls
of old castle, and next to it there was the so called Door
of Nanno, one of the entrance of the Medieval suburb. The
tower has been restored few years ago.
Continuing we can see on the left Tozzoli’s Palace.
In front of it there’s the War Memorial, surrounded
by the trees of the public garden.
Now we arrive in front of the main church
of the town, the Church of St.Canio, entirely rebuilt after
the 1980’s earthquake.
Inside we find the XVIII century altar, inlaid with marble
and paintings from the XVIII century. One of them represents
the apotheosis of St. Canio.
The old mother church was located near to the Benedectine
monastery; it was damaged by the 1694’s earthquake and
rebuilt, but cause of a landslip it was pulled down in 1883
and re-erected where we can see it now.